MINNEAPOLIS – Final week, the Board of Administrators of Twin Cities Pagan Satisfaction issued a proper assertion relating to the arrest of Josiah Mosqueda, 27, who was charged with eight counts involving youngster exploitation and producing, receiving and distributing youngster pornography.
The assertion acknowledges that Mosqueda had attended Twin Cities Pagan Delight, and Paganicon and even introduced a workshop and facilitated an adult-only ritual as a volunteer, he was not a member, nor up to now of their group. Additionally they emphasised that he was by no means concerned in any planning or determination making for any of their occasions. The assertion features a hyperlink to their security coverage and states in mild of the fees towards Mosqueda, he won’t be welcome at future occasions.
The assertion goes on to say, “Twin Cities Pagan Delight is dedicated to offering protected and enriching alternatives to deliver the group collectively. The security of our attendees is considered one of our foremost considerations. We stand in help of the victims and their households. Please be a part of us in our prayers for help, therapeutic and justice for them. We’re unaware of any hurt that has ever been perpetrated at our occasions. We encourage anybody who has been victimized, now or sooner or later, to succeed in out to regulation enforcement and our Board members for help.”
Mosqueda is due in courtroom right now for arraignment. On the time of publication, no report on the result has been filed. TWH will report on this as extra information turns into out there.
* * *
WASHINGTON – The Supreme Courtroom of the USA (SCOTUS) stayed the execution of Buddhist inmate, Patrick H. Murphy, in Texas final Thursday on the grounds that his First Modification constitutional rights can be violated by not permitting his religious adviser to be current within the execution chamber with him.
The Fifth Circuit of Courtroom of Appeals dominated that Murphy had waited too lengthy to make his request, just like the sooner ruling by the SCOTUS, stating that, “The jail coverage was lengthy established and public, the panel stated in an unsigned opinion, making delays in difficult it ‘unacceptable beneath the circumstances.’ ” Texas state officers additionally cited safety considerations just like these of officers in Alabama within the Ray execution.
Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh wrote within the choice, “The federal government might not discriminate towards faith usually or towards specific spiritual denominations.” He additional wrote, “On this case, the related Texas coverage permits a Christian or Muslim inmate to have a state-employed Christian or Muslim spiritual adviser current both within the execution room or within the adjoining viewing room. However inmates of different spiritual denominations—for instance, Buddhist inmates reminiscent of Murphy—who need their spiritual adviser to be current can have the spiritual adviser current solely within the viewing room and never within the execution room itself for his or her executions. For my part, the Structure prohibits such denominational discrimination.”
Two different justices, Justices Clarence Thomas and Neil M. Gorsuch, would have allowed the execution to maneuver ahead.
This can be a slight reversal of the choice handed down in early February that denied a Muslim inmate, Domineque Ray, the correct to have his imam current within the demise chamber in Alabama. The SCOTUS dominated 5-Four, towards Ray’s attraction writing of their determination that he waited too late within the course of to make his request. Representatives of Ray stated the jail officers by no means made any point out of any guidelines prohibiting his imam from being current till Ray made the request, every week previous to his scheduled execution.
In that dissenting opinion Justice Elena Kagan wrote: “The clearest command of the Institution Clause[of the First Amendment]” is that “one spiritual denomination can’t be formally most popular over one other.” This was largely in response to the jail’s allowance of Christian clergy, however not clergy of another religion. The jail cited safety considerations as the rationale for the coverage.
* * *
USA – Representatives from the US Catholic Church have expressed concern about people magic, Witchcraft and Wicca given the rise in curiosity in them.
In Santa Fe, New Mexico, Archbishop John Wester denounced the follow of honoring Santa Muerte. He’s involved that folks contemplate Santa Muerte to be a Catholic-sanctioned saint, “It’s actually mistaken,” Wester stated. The recognition of Santa Muerte, a people saint related to protected passage, safety, and even therapeutic, has grown in recent times. Originating in Latin American tradition, Her affect and depictions have unfold to a lot of the U.S. over the previous 20 years, and candles with Her likeness could be discovered in lots of outlets that catering to Latino-based clientele and different Witch shops.
Wester attributes the development to, “I feel partially, it’s [as a result of] individuals are wanting and looking. It’s a symptom of a search in search of solutions.” Two different U.S. members of the Catholic religion, El Paso Bishop Mark Seitz and San Angelo Bishop Michael Sis each of Texas, have additionally spoken out towards the honouring of Santa Muerte.
In a weblog publish for the Nationwide Catholic Reporter, Patti Armstrong writes concerning the risks of Wicca, and mistakenly equates the faith with satan worship. She quotes a person she identifies solely as “Father Michael” (making it clear the identify is a pseudonym) who she stories is a “designated exorcist for his diocese” however doesn’t determine his diocesan affiliation. In accordance with the weblog submit, any and all practices that honor or name upon Nature, use any type divination, or are for the aim of therapeutic that don’t name on the Christian God, are evil and the facility comes from the satan.
GDANSK, Poland – A Catholic evangelical church group in Poland, SMS From Heaven Basis, set ablaze books, in addition to symbols from different spiritual faiths final week. Most of the books burned have been these that includes Harry Potter, which the teams feels is harmful to youngsters and can encourage them to discover the practices of Witchcraft.
In different information:
- In an replace to a narrative TWH reported on final November, Canadian Tiffany “Nina” Butch had all costs towards her dropped by the courtroom. Butch was the final individual to be charged underneath Witchcraft legal guidelines, two days earlier than the regulation was faraway from the Canadian Legal Code. When the Witchcraft regulation was eliminated, the courtroom then charged Butch with fraud. Final week, it was reported that the fraud cost was additionally dropped.
- Final week, Fb introduced it will not permit pages that promote, endorse, or proclaim white nationalist or white separatist views. This follows its choice final yr to ban any pages that have been related to white supremacy. Brian Fishman, coverage director of counter-terrorism at Fb, stated in a narrative by MotherBoard concerning the new coverage, “…that customers who seek for or attempt to submit white nationalism, white separatism, or white supremacist content material will start getting a popup that may redirect to the web site for Life After Hate, a nonprofit based by ex-white supremacists that’s devoted to getting individuals to go away hate teams.”
- College of Buffalo anthropologist Phillips Stevens Jr. gave a lecture, “Magical Considering, Inherently Human,” final week on the Middle for Inquiry (CFI) Western New York in Amherst. A second lecture, “Classical Witchcraft, Inherently Human,” is scheduled for this for this Friday on the similar location. The 2 lectures give attention to the concept beliefs in magical practices and ideas are embedded in human evolution biology, and that in consequence “magical considering” is pure. He doesn’t handle trendy religions, like Wicca, however as an alternative examines the 14 attributes of the ethnological/historic witch, which mirror common human fears and fantasies.
- The Joyner Library in Greenville, NC held a Human Library occasion final week that included the story of 1 precise witch. The occasion makes use of individuals to inform tales of their life experiences, and featured a various choice of “story tellers.” The aim of the occasion is to advertise social change by encouraging dialogue that challenges stereotypes. Individuals included a vegan, a police officer, a member of the Mormon church, a drag queen, an individual with bipolar dysfunction, and sure, even a witch. That is the sixth yr for the occasion to be held.
- An artwork set up “A Coven A Grove A Stand” by London-based artist Susan Pui San Lok has the historical past of witchcraft at its core. On show at Firstsite artwork gallery and cultural middle in Colchester, Essex, the exhibit focuses on witchcraft, folklore, and the historical past of the witch persecutions through the 16th and 17th centuries. The exhibition through which the artist will proceed so as to add to, incorporates sound, sculptures, and shifting pictures, and runs by means of April 22, 2019.
- The U.S. Postal Service introduced final week it’ll launch the Spooky Silhouette collection for Halloween 2019. The 4 stamps, designed Artwork Director Greg Breeding, and created by artist Tyler Lang, function ghosts, a spider in an internet, bats, and a cat with a crow within the tree behind it. The pictures are silhouetted in black on vivid, solid-color backgrounds. A date for his or her launch has not but been introduced
Current Veil Crossing
The Wild Hunt is saddened to listen to that Jock MacGregor was crossed the veil. His family and friends forwarded this memorial.
“Don’t mild a candle,
Mild a Bonfire!
He was a Blazing Star.
His coronary heart was so huge …He gave items of it away…till there was… nothing… left.”
On March ninth, in his 68th yr, our pricey pal Jock MacGregor quietly left us. It was not in his nature. Our good friend handed away from coronary heart surgical procedure problems, out of the blue and peacefully, at residence …
Bigger than life, boisterous, with a wink in his eye, he was the one who would make you are feeling like every little thing would work out. He had a fatherly presence, comforting to our entire group. Jock (Chris Benson in his different life) was one of the best MC of many Bardic competitions. An actor by commerce (take a look at Goosebumps Camp Nightmare, The Santa Clause, The Slicing Edge…) and later a private help employee for weak adults, he was the pressure that harnessed all our younger volunteers (Jock’s crew) at Wic -Can Fest and Harvest Fest. He beloved Nature, People, Hearth and Drums.
A Director of Wic-Can Fest and Harvest Fest, Jock was the one who would, behind the scenes, be sure that we had wooden, water, bogs, hearth and torches whereas at different occasions, he might be present in humorous or deep dialog on the elder’s hearth. He was the colourful chief of our Corn King ritual!
He was additionally a well-known and beloved elder to these at Kaleidoscope Gathering, Starwood Pageant and Hearthfire to call however a number of. We’re all so fortunate to have counted him as a pal and a member of our larger Pagan group because the early 80’s . His loss is deeply felt by all his household.
All of us won’t ever see a kilt, or a bowler hat, or a chair with horns, ever the identical. We’ll by no means take pleasure in a bardic circle or a rousing dialog by the hearth, or the journey of the Corn King, together with his champion by his aspect, ever the identical once more.
Jock MacGregor, might the Goddess maintain you shut as you journey by way of the Summerlands. Might you be a part of your ancestors in celebration of your life with rousing tales, nice pleasure and heartfelt laughter. Might the Goddess additionally supply a lot consolation, love and peace to your lovely household, and all who’re left right here on this aircraft that love you and really feel the huge hole of their lives, left by your crossing the veil.
There will probably be no funeral, however please arrange Celebration of Life gatherings wherever you collect…He would love that. He hated funerals and liked life. We, at Wic-Can Fest, will come collectively and plant seeds to develop till Harvest the place, this yr, our King will take a few of our good friend away on his journey.
We hope that you’ll all take part
“…The hearth beckons us.
Will you reply the decision?
Will you come forth and climb the witch hill,
To bop and feast with our King?
Will you, who’ve supped with him,
Who’ve carried him via the seasons,
Courageous the hearth and look into his eyes?
You can’t unsee what you see there.
The Wild God calls us forth.
His energy grows inside us
We’re the crafty ones.
We’ll set the world aflame.”
“Abu” (So Mote It Be)
Tarot of the week by Star Bustamonte
Deck: Smith-Waite Tarot, Centennial Version by Arthur Edward Waite, paintings By Pamela Coleman Smith revealed by U.S. Video games Methods, Inc.
Card: Three (three) of Cups
This week might supply a conclusion to one thing that has been pending or ongoing, and should very properly supply the chance to rejoice or loosen up. Conversely, shared info and even shared journey to create a desired consequence could also be indicated.
Decks generously offered by Asheville Raven & Crone