CALGARY, Canada – Final week a ruling from the Canadian Federal courtroom in favor of the Southern Alberta Blood Tribe, was a serious victory for indigenous peoples. Justice Russel Zinn dominated that the tribe was shortchanged in the best way the boundaries have been drawn underneath Treaty 7 signed in 1877. His ruling acknowledges that the land occupied by the Blood Tribe was 160 sq. miles lower than what it ought to have been.
The Blood Tribe’s present reserve is 547.5 sq. miles. Zinn dominated Canada was in breach of Treaty 7, which he detailed within the 205-page written determination, and that the tribe was entitled to 710 sq. miles of land.
“Canada is liable to the Blood Tribe for this breach of treaty,” wrote Zinn.
The unique territory would have prolonged from the St. Mary River within the east to the Waterton River within the west, and south to the U.S. border. Zinn rejected the declare that attorneys representing the Blood Tribe argued the city of Cardston and a part of Waterton Lakes Nationwide Park ought to be included in its territory.
How the tribe can be compensated has but to be decided, and would require one other listening to that has but to be scheduled.
There’s a comparable case pending within the U.S. that’s scheduled to be heard by the Supreme Courtroom this session, Murphy v. Royal. On the floor, the homicide case seems like something however one that might find yourself being heard by the Supreme Courtroom. Nevertheless, as a consequence of the place the crime was dedicated, and the place the sufferer’s physique was dumped, it has put the case entrance and middle in a case that would have a dramatic impression on the boundaries for the Creek Nation (Muscogee Tribe) and for japanese Oklahoma.
The federal authorities signed a treaty with Muscogee Tribe in 1866 that dictated the boundaries of the tribe – some three.25 million acres or 5078 sq. miles. Regardless of different declarations by the federal authorities and makes an attempt to “reclaim” land (Dawes Fee) deeded to indigenous peoples, in addition to the creation of the state of Oklahoma, the federal authorities by no means redrew or altered the boundaries nor was the 1866 treaty revised.
Murphy was tried and convicted of homicide by the State of Oklahoma. Nevertheless, Murphy dedicated his crime, in addition to dumping the sufferer’s physique, inside the boundaries of that 1866 treaty. The ensuing appeals ultimately resulted within the U.S. 10th Circuit Courtroom to rule that the case ought to’ve been tried by federal prosecutors somewhat than the State of Oklahoma resulting from the truth that the land legally nonetheless belongs to the Creek Nation. Ought to the Supreme Courtroom uphold the earlier ruling on jurisdiction, it might additionally cede the land in query again to the Creek (Muscogee).
A ruling in favor of the Creek on this trend would additionally open the best way for the remainder of the Oklahoma tribes to probably reclaim the 19 million acres that embrace the town of Tulsa.
TWH will proceed to comply with these tales.
* * *
TWH – A current article showing in The American Curiosity titled, “The Rise of Progressive Occultism” by Tara Isabella Burton appears to have spurred a variety of articles and responses, most notably an op-ed by The New York Occasions (NYT) columnist, and political commentator, David Brooks, “The Age of Aquarius, Throughout Once more!” Whereas each articles use astrology as their lead-in, the primary focus is Witches, and occult practices turning into more and more mainstream because the impression, or not, they’re having with activists.
TWH revealed a letter yesterday from Phyllis Curott in response to Brooks’ column, particularly, taking him to process over his assertion within the final paragraph, “I doubt that a lot of this will probably be sustainable. I doubt it’s potential to have tight group and in addition complete autonomy, that it’s potential to detach religious practices from the bigger narratives and cultures and nonetheless have one thing life-shaping.”
Someday after Brooks’ column was revealed, the Los Angeles Occasions ran a narrative of The Oracle of Los Angeles, Amanda Yates Garcia, who makes her dwelling as knowledgeable Witch. The exact same day, the Day by day Star within the U.Okay. ran a narrative with the headline, “Witchcraft booming in UK as figures present 70,000 individuals apply ‘magic’.”
On June 14, The Toledo Blade revealed, “The Pagan means: The Broom Closet caters to the polytheistic” an article profiling a brand new enterprise that focuses on promoting to training Witches and Pagans. The reporter will get not solely the terminology proper, but in addition manages to obviously clarify the umbrella of Paganism.
On day after that, Roadtripper Journal revealed an article concerning the Bearded Woman’s Mystic Museum in Burbank, California. The museum in accordance the the article not solely has quite a lot of occult gadgets like classic Ouija boards, but in addition an historic mummy cranium amongst its shows. It additionally sells quite a lot of different oddities, provides psychic readings, is house to coven of Witches, and has an artwork gallery.
On June 16, the Liverpool Echo revealed an article about Gerald Gardner, his household’s ancestral connection to a Scottish lady, Grissell Gairdner, who was burnt on the stake for being a “witch” and him being the “father of recent witchcraft.” The article covers a lot of the fundamentals of Gardner’s life, his travels, and magical practices.
The Highlands Present additionally reported concerning the Oddities and Curiosities Night time Market occasion that will probably be occurring on Friday night, June 21 throughout the College Settlement within the small group of Beacon, situated within the Hudson Valley in New York state, about 60 miles north of NYC. The occasion will function uncommon issues that focus on “magical and metaphysical” issues and a celebration of the summer time solstice.
The articles symbolize a shift in Witch-centered info connecting religious values to activism.
* * *
Crossings of the Veil
Nora Cedarwind Younger (1958-2019) of Washington State died on Friday night time, June 14. Her husband Bud and different relations have been by her aspect.
Nora was recognized nationally and internationally for her work with Demise Midwifery and Greening the Finish of Life. Nora was a Circle Sanctuary Minister and was one of many first Pagans to work as knowledgeable Hospice Chaplain. Nora assisted with the event of a number of Inexperienced Cemeteries within the USA, together with Circle Cemetery at Circle Sanctuary Nature Protect in Wisconsin, a nationwide Pagan cemetery and one of many first Inexperienced Cemeteries within the USA.
Nora was a Pagan Elder in addition to a instructor and ritualist inside the Ladies’s Spirituality motion. She additionally was among the many founders of our Ceremony of Passage into Younger Womanhood program that’s a part of Pagan Spirit Gathering yearly. As well as, Nora was an environmentalist, a meals coop organizer, and social justice activist. She was a Woman Liberty League advisor and labored on quite a lot of Pagan civil rights and non secular freedom instances, together with the profitable Veterans Pentacle Quest.
Circle Sanctuary celebrated Nora and her life and legacy as a part of their Ceremony of Remembrance for his or her Beloved Lifeless on June 16, firstly of the Pagan Spirit Gathering in Ohio. At a later time, they are going to be fulfilling her request of burying a few of her ashes within the Pagan Elders part of Circle Cemetery.
What’s remembered, lives.
In different information:
- Christian missionaries in India are reportedly stirring controversy by planting crosses within the land throughout Panchalimedu, a sacred place for native Hindus named after Panchali/Draupadi,which is believed to be a spot inhabited by Pandavas through the 12 years of exile and is part of the sacred forest of Lord Ayyappa. The land is in dispute with the income division and native Hindus try to reclaim the land. The Travancore Devaswom Board president issued a press release that they have been working to reclaim the land, and had submitted a memorandum to the Chief Minister. St Mary’s Catholic Church, Kanayankavayal was directed to take away all of the 14 crosses put in on income land by a village officer. A Hindu group that put in a trident (Trishul) in entrance of an unlawful cross atop the Panchalimedu hills, in protest towards the Church’s makes an attempt to take over the land by displaying crosses, has had costs filed towards them by the Kerala police.
- Cambridge College is cataloging the variability crimes that occurred inside the diocese of Ely and span over 200 years, the date vary of 1557 to 1775. The instances being sorted by Librarian archivists for Cambridge College cowl the whole lot from witchcraft and homicide to trespassing and vagrancy. The case of Margaret Cotte, who was accused of utilizing witchcraft to trigger the dying of Martha Johnson by, “being seduced by diabolical instigation out of premeditated malice she did sure wickednesses and diabolical magical arts,” displays the occasions. Cotte was acquitted in 1577. Archivist Sian Collins citing the significance of such data stated, “Martha and Margaret might not seem in some other data. That is all we find out about them. This undertaking allows us to listen to the voices of individuals from all backgrounds whose names come tumbling out of the data. Many of those individuals, lengthy lifeless and forgotten, and for whom there isn’t a different surviving document, will now have a small piece of their story advised.”
- The rise in funding and campaigns to boost consciousness in nations on the African continent to guard those that are albinos appears to be slowing the quantity of people who find themselves ceaselessly kidnapped and murdered. Their abductions occur as a result of they’re sought as sacrifices as a result of it’s believed their dying in a ritual brings wealth to the individual requesting the ritual and typically the practitioner. Even their physique elements are thought-about to be fortunate and bought as charms. The fifth annual Worldwide Albinism Consciousness Day was celebrated final week at a United Nations occasion. Peter Ash, founding father of the Underneath the Similar Solar charity cited that the numbers of deaths of albinos dropped from 20 to 6 final yr in Tanzania. “(Earlier than) there was nothing to have fun,” stated Isaac Mwaura, the primary member of Kenya’s parliament with albinism.
- Final month a number of pentacles have been discovered as graffiti close to a church and on the edges of a number of buildings within the downtown space of Sonara, California. One pentacle was discovered painted on the brick exterior of the College of California Cooperative Extension farm advisory workplace. Two extra have been found the identical day. One was on the bottom outdoors of the First Church of Christ, Scientist and one other on the stone wall alongside the steps at Coffill Park sprayed in white paint. Authorities have up to now made no arrests nor have any leads who could be accountable.
- Cherry Hill Seminary started its remaining push for the Spring Annual Attraction for funding this week. The Havamal and Virtues Ethics course, which examines the knowledge poetry of the textual content, in addition to exploring the advantage, and ethics and the way they influence the dwelling of recent Heathens and Pagans additionally started in the present day.
Tarot of the week by Star Bustamonte
Deck: Solar and Moon Tarot by Vanessa Decort, revealed by U.S. Video games Techniques, Inc.
Card: Two (2) of Swords
This week is liable to incorporate using decisiveness on the subject of making decisions. It might be a sensible follow to ensure that any inside battle is resolved earlier than trying to resolve different points.
Decks generously offered by Asheville Raven & Crone