ASHEVILLE (TWH) – At present marks the 49th anniversary of Earth Day, first celebrated on April 22, 1970 within the U.S. A lot of Pagan and polytheist teams maintain annual celebrations and public rituals everywhere in the U.S. and all over the world. Earth Day turned a worldwide occasion 20 years in the past. Over 190 nations have signed on to the celebration as being dedicated to selling conservation and elevating consciousness targeted on environmental points.
This yr’s theme from the Earth Day Community is “Shield Our Species.” In a typical yr, between one to 5 species turn into extinct yearly. In recent times, nevertheless, these numbers have jumped astronomically and are at present estimated to be magnified by 1,000 to 10,000 occasions that fee. A research launched in 2017 studies a lower in flying bugs that ranges between 76% and 82% over the previous 20 years. That is essential as a result of flora largely is dependent upon bees and different flying bugs for pollination. The decline of species throughout the board has accelerated and a few species, like lizards, might be utterly extinct by 2080.
The North Face, Inc began a petition on Change.org to make Earth Day a nationwide vacation across the globe. Quite a lot of different corporations and organizations like Woman Scouts, Nationwide Geographic, CLIF, The Belief For Public Land, and Smartwool are just some who’ve signed on to assist help the mission and promote the petition. At time of publication, over 120,000 individuals have signed the petition which has a objective of 150,000
* * *
RICHMOND, Va. – Final week, it was reported that two officers with alleged ties to white supremacy and a Heathen group, Ealdrice Theodish Fellowship, have been relieved of their positions following an investigation by the separate regulation enforcement departments the place they have been employed.
TWH reported in February, Sgt. Robert A. Stamm of the Virginia Capitol Police was positioned on administrative depart after social media posts that includes symbols of white supremacy and potential connections to Asatru People Meeting, have been made public by Antifa Seven Hills. On Tuesday Stamm’s lawyer, Brent Jackson, stated that Stamm had submitted his resignation, a police spokesperson described the state of affairs as Stamm being “separated” from the Va. Capitol Police.
In March TWH reported, Chesterfield, Va. Faculty Useful resource Officer, Dan Morley was faraway from his place and suspended after Unicorn Riot uncovered his connection to a white nationalist group by publishing over 77,000 leaked chat room messages from the group Id Evropa. The Unicorn riot article revealed that that each Stamm and Morley have been concerned with Id Evropa and the Heathen group, Ealdrice Theodish Fellowship. It was reported Morley was fired on Thursday.
One of many founders of Id Evropa, Nathan Damigo, is reportedly related with serving to arrange members outdoors of the speedy space for the Unite the Proper rally in Charlottesville, Va. The rally turned lethal, killing protestor Heather Heyer who was rundown by a automotive pushed by James Alex Fields, Jr. Fields was convicted and sentenced to life in jail in March of this yr. Id Evropa has sought to distance itself from the homicide and tried to rebrand by saying in early March the group is now calling itself the American Id Motion.
* * *
MEEDER, Okla. – There’s replace to a case TWH reported on in August 2018, involving alleged youngster abuse and neglect of Jones Sr.’s in Oklahoma linked the daddy, Jimmy L. Jones Sr., 34, and stepmother, Amy A. Jones, 46, as figuring out as Pagan or Wiccan. Each had favored or have been following quite a lot of Pagan pages on Fb, and the stepmother had posted about “majik” and Wicca on her private web page on the time. The sufferer of the alleged youngster abuse and neglect was solely recognized as “JJ” and listed to be 15-years-old, and showing emaciated–weighing solely 80 kilos.
Initially, Jones Sr. was charged with one rely of kid abuse, and his spouse was charged with enabling youngster abuse by damage, along with baby neglect. Their two sons, 20-year-old Johnathan Plank, and 24-year-old Tyler Adkins, have been additionally charged with baby neglect.
Final Friday, after a preliminary listening to to find out possible trigger for the defendants to be sure over for trial on the fees, the State of Oklahoma introduced youngster neglect towards each of the Joneses and Adkins as an alternative of fees of kid abuse. Plank is accused of failing to report. If convicted the defendants might face a sentence starting from one month to life in jail. Oklahoma has legal guidelines in place that require these convicted of serving 85% of their sentence earlier than being paroled or incomes credit in the direction of early launch. The Jones household has one different youngster, who’s four-years-old and was not talked about in up to date reviews. None of the present reporting makes any point out of the household’s spiritual practices.
In different information:
- A corrections officer in Haralson County, Georgia, Trent East, has reportedly been suspended with pay pending an investigation of his ties with a Norse group, Ravensblood Kindred and posts he made on social media that mirror white supremacy ideology. Initially, Haralson County Sheriff, Eddie Mixon decided East introduced no menace and he was left on the job till strain from the Anti-Defamation League acquired the eye of county officers for a extra formal investigation. East and a good friend, Dalton Woodward traveled to Auburn College collectively in 2017 to listen to white supremacist, Richard Spencer converse and later posted footage on-line of the indicators that they had made and carried referencing “white genocide.” Each East and Woodward are Nationwide Guard members, and are being investigated by the army to see if their actions are are in violation of laws which prohibit having any ties to extremist or supremacy teams.
- Final Friday, Reuters reported Northern Eire journalist, Lyra McKee was gunned down by a member of a militant Irish nationalist group that was firing at police whereas she was overlaying a riot in Londonderry. Mckee was an advocate for the LGBTQ group, and had been contributor to many publications together with The Unbiased, The Atlantic, and Buzzfeed, and was awarded the Sky Information Younger Journalist of the Yr in 2006. Paradoxically, it was 21 years in the past that the Good Friday Settlement that ended a number of many years of sectarian violence in Eire.
- A petition on the Care2 website titled, “Denounce Hatred Executed in Identify of Odin” up to now has garnered 166 signatures. It’s unclear what group or particular person began the petition on the location. TWH will report any new info because it turns into out there.
- A lady referred to as the Beaufort County Sheriff in North Carolina to report what she known as a “witchcraft hex” close to the entrance door of her residence. The report says the lady’s initials have been written in sugar, and had a recent egg cracked on prime. The reporting on this story doesn’t give the identify of the sufferer however does specify that a police report was filed with the Beaufort County Sheriff and that the lady had acquired a number of texts threatening her and her husband previous to the invention of the egg hex.
- A New Zealand man, Reg Ozanne, who is a component Maori and identifies as working towards some Pagan-identified beliefs is a suspect within the dying of a miniature horse that was attacked and stabbed 41 occasions on February 19. Police searched Ozanne’s residence and automotive within the Waitati group on the lookout for weapons, bloody clothes, and any writings on Pagan or Satanic rituals. They eliminated a number of knives, a crossbow Ozanne says he makes use of for searching and a number of other pairs of footwear. Ozanne strongly denied having something to do with what occurred to the horse or being related to any beliefs that espouse such actions.
- Early this month, The Miami Herald reported that joggers and hikers who recurrently make the most of Tropical Park have been encountering an growing quantity of formality choices. Every little thing from lifeless fowl to goats and pigs, as nicely quite a lot of animal organs and elements together with cow tongues litter the rocky outcropping on the prime of a constructed small hill. These kinds of ritual choices are widespread to Santeria, and different forms of African Conventional Religions (ATR). Whereas the U.S. Supreme Courtroom dominated in 1993 that bans towards working towards Santeria have been spiritual discrimination and unconstitutional, common guests to the park hope that metropolis officers will improve the regularity of clean-up crews and take away carcasses and animal elements earlier than they start to rot.
- A brand new survey by Pagan priestess and scholar, Gwendolyn Reece, of American College in Washington, D.C, is a part of a research that seeks to discover the connection between how the metaphysical and theological beliefs held by Pagans/Witches/Heathens relate to one another and to moral reasoning. She can also be exploring how these subjects relate to sure private points, like a way of self-efficacy and the centrality of your religious path to your private id. In her survey, she asks sure questions which might be designed particularly for the Pagan/Witch/Heathen group and others that have been beforehand utilized in different educational research with the overall inhabitants and permit for comparisons. The web survey takes about 25 minutes. All solutions are nameless and open to anybody age eighteen or older who identifies as a part of the general group. The survey will shut after Summer time Solstice.
Tarot of the week by Star Bustamonte
Deck: Tarot of the Bones by Lupa
Card: Three (three) of Wands
This week could also be a very good time to bask in a bit of wanderlust or set off an journey or pursue a brand new artistic endeavor. Be aware of not turning into overly assured or making an attempt to cowl an excessive amount of floor too quick.
Decks generously offered by Asheville Raven & Crone