LONDON – Final week, Prime Minister, Theresa Might introduced a proposal that would have a big influence on Pagans and members of earth-based perception techniques dwelling within the England and Wales.
The Regulation Fee will carry out a two-year evaluation of marriage guidelines. Presently weddings in England and Wales are required to be held in a spot of worship or one other constructing licensed to carry authorized ceremonies of that nature. Legally acknowledged weddings are prohibited from being carried out outdoors in nature, or anyplace that isn’t a licensed construction. Scotland doesn’t have the identical restrictions on places.
Might stated, “The very important establishment of marriage is a robust image of wider society’s want to rejoice dedication between companions. However we will do extra to convey the legal guidelines on marriage ceremonies updated and to help couples in celebrating their dedication.”
A report revealed by the Regulation Fee in late 2015, raised considerations of inconsistency within the legal guidelines governing marriage. The assessment of wedding ceremony venues was commissioned by a conservative and liberal authorities coalition the identical yr, and located that providing wider decisions might make marriages extra reasonably priced and extra private.
The assessment elicited a response from the federal government that such modifications would create extra complicated problems with equality with spiritual and secular ceremonies. The selection of venues is ruled by the Marriage Act 1949. Nonetheless, nearly all of legal guidelines relating to marriage haven’t been broadly reformed since 1836.
“While we’ll all the time protect the dignity of marriage, individuals from all walks of life ought to have the ability to categorical their vows in a means that’s significant to them,” stated David Gauke, Secretary of State for Justice and Lord Chancellor.
Gauke additionally stated, “This evaluation will take a look at the purple tape and outdated guidelines round weddings – ensuring our legal guidelines are match for contemporary life.”
Whereas it is going to be 2021 earlier than the evaluation is accomplished and proposals on modifications are made to the federal government, if adopted, permitting weddings to happen on the sea shore and even in a personal backyard might make an enormous distinction for Pagans.
Might is because of step down from her position as Prime Minister as quickly as her successor is chosen, and it’ll finally be underneath the management of that individual to handle any modifications to marriage legal guidelines.
* * *
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – Ladies’s reproductive rights have been within the information final week when a five-month-pregnant lady, Marshae Jones, 27, was charged with manslaughter that stemmed from her involvement in an altercation with one other lady that ended with Jones being shot within the stomach and killing the fetus she was carrying.
As we’ve reported, some members within the Pagan group have voiced critical considerations and outrage over a collection of legal guidelines which were handed in the previous few months that prohibit ladies’s reproductive rights, and try and criminalize abortion and even miscarriages.
The fees towards Jones for manslaughter appear notably odd since Ebony Jemison, the lady who fired the shot that finally terminated Jones’ being pregnant was not indicted by a grand jury after deciding her actions have been in self-defense.
Jones was indicted by the identical grand jury. The indictment said Jones did “deliberately trigger the dying” of “Unborn Child Jones by initiating a battle figuring out she was 5 months pregnant.” The district lawyer’s workplace has not but decided as to whether or not they prosecute the case.
A outstanding Birmingham regulation agency, White Arnold & Dowd, issued a press release on Friday that they’re representing Jones. Monday morning, lawyer Mark White filed a movement in courtroom asking the state of Alabama to dismiss the fees towards Jones calling them, “unreasonable, irrational, and unfounded.”
Opponents of reproductive legal guidelines they see as oppressive have been outspoken on comparable points and instances prior to now. Response to this newest case from the surface and inside the Pagan group has been muted, at greatest.
The chief director of Nationwide Advocates for Pregnant Ladies, Lynn Paltrow advised the Related Press that Alabama at present leads the nation in charging ladies for crimes associated to their pregnancies. She stated lots of have been prosecuted for operating afoul of the state’s “chemical endangerment of a kid” statute by exposing their embryo or fetus to managed substances.
However that is the primary time she’s heard of a pregnant lady being charged after getting shot.
“This takes us to a brand new degree of inhumanity and illegality in the direction of pregnant ladies,” Paltrow stated. “I can’t consider another circumstance the place an individual who themselves is a sufferer of a criminal offense is handled because the legal.”
In a associated story, The Satanic Temple (TST) counter-protested towards a gaggle of evangelicals in Chicago over the weekend. TST displayed a banner that learn, “Finish Pressured Motherhood” and umbrellas with giant pentagrams emblazoned on them on an overpass proper subsequent to group holding indicators proclaiming, “Abortion takes a human life” and “Honk towards abortion.” TST Chicago Chapter posted footage of their Fb web page together with hyperlinks for his or her spiritual reproductive rights web site.
* * *
COUNTY MEATH, Eire – One of many “wishing timber” on the Hill of Tara close to Skryne in County Meath, Eire, fell because of the weight of clouties, charms, and cash that had been tied or affixed to it. The tree that fell was one among a pair on the location. Guests at the moment are being requested to chorus from including another materials to the remaining tree. The Hill of Tara is an historic ceremonial and burial website, and custom holds that it was the inaugural website of Irish Kings and is included in Irish mythology and folklore.
Additionally on the Hill of Tara, in line with the The Irish Occasions, an American couple, Jeff Olsen and Anna Lisa Van Bloem, from Utah had a standard Celtic handfasting in the course of the summer time solstice. Sadly, thieves stole all of the footage “from their photographer’s automotive boot, together with electrical gadgets, passports and clothes, on the base of the hill”. The photographer is the bride’s brother and the couple hoped to point out the footage to their eight youngsters
“We have been type of distraught once we came upon. Our entire ceremony was sure by our youngsters, so it might be very particular if the youngsters might see it,” Olsen is reported as saying.
In the meantime, a bystander who took some pictures of the couple’s ceremony despatched them what she had. The groom says that “his religion in Eire had been restored by the kindness he and his companion had skilled within the aftermath of the theft.”
The couple is providing a €500 reward for the return of the exhausting drive that held the footage.
In different information:
- In an replace to a narrative we reported on in February, final week Leonora Joseph, 76, was ordered to be faraway from the courtroom room after an outburst and regularly muttering throughout Samantha Ginsberg’s testimony. Joseph and her son, Mark, 45, are accused of continued and repeated harassment of Ginsberg and her seven-year-old daughter, who has autism. The Joseph’s consider that Ginsberg and her daughter follow witchcraft and are liable for well being points the elder Joseph has skilled. Joseph shouted, “Jesus kill her!” throughout Ginsberg’s testimony, leading to district decide Andrew Candy telling the defendent, “Mrs Joseph, I gave you two warnings, I stated you will need to not interrupt the witness’ proof. I can’t tolerate you sitting and making feedback which are inappropriate.” Whereas leaving the courtroom, Leonora Joseph allegedly advised Candy, “God be your decide.” TWH will proceed to comply with this case and report on the result.
- The band Tuatha Dea is arising on its ten-year anniversary, and is within the course of of manufacturing a brand new album to have fun. The group rolled out a brand new fundraiser for “Undertaking X” on Indiegogo final month. As a part of teaser for the brand new album they’ve been sharing one of many songs that will probably be featured, “The Black Douglas” on Fb and different social media platforms. The band plans to launch a vinyl version of the recording in the event that they exceed their funding objectives.
In “witch-hunt” and associated information:
- A 50-year-old lady, Sunita Devi who has been accused of working towards “witchcraft,” was murdered within the Indian province, Nayatola Bhawanpur. She was shot on the Kharik railway station. Kharik police have named quite a few individuals as suspects within the capturing, and are working with railway police to arrest these concerned.
- In one other case of “witch-hunting” a 50-year-old lady and her daughter have been brutally murdered in Rowaoli village within the West Singhbhum district of Jharkhand in India. The names of the ladies murdered weren’t listed in any information studies, solely that they have been the spouse and daughter of Subhash Khandait. A number of information studies listed a battle over land rights, and that these accused of the murders has circulated rumours of “black magic” and “witchcraft” practices towards the 2 ladies among the many villagers.
- The charges of sickle-cell anemia in African nations accounts for almost 70% of the 300,000 infants born with the illness world-wide. 30% of the instances are discovered within the Western and Nyanza areas of Kenya and ceaselessly go undiagnosed due perception the reason for the sickness is “witchcraft” or misdiagnosed as malaria. Sheilah Abebe from Ball State College Faculty of Nursing who was a part of a analysis program with Masinde Muliro College, urged the federal government to hold out in depth consciousness campaigns to teach the populations of the areas the place the illness is most outstanding, in addition to present medical help and screenings.
- The outcomes of a current survey have been revealed in Ranchi, Jharkland, India final week at an occasion organized by the Affiliation for Advocacy and Authorized Initiatives (AALI) and included a lot of attorneys, civil society representatives, and authorities officers and requires consideration to witch-hunts to be handled equally as human trafficking in consciousness and justice campaigns. The survey, carried out in eight districts of the state [Jharkland] confirmed that greater than half of the ladies murdered because of “witch-hunts” have been between 40 and 50 years of age. The breakdown of the findings: 33% of the victims of witch-hunting are ladies above 51 years of age; 24.2% are within the 41-50 years age group; 28.eight% are within the 31-40 years age bracket; and 21.6% within the 21-30 years age group. “Witch-hunting ought to be given the identical significance and handled on a par with human trafficking,” stated Kalyani Sharan, chairperson of the state ladies’s fee. “As an alternative of simply terming witch-hunting as a fallout of superstition and dangerous social customs, it ought to handled as a violation of the elemental rights of the sufferer,” stated Shubhangi, AALI challenge coordinator from Lucknow.
Tarot of the week by Star Bustamonte
Deck: Symbolon: The Deck of Remembrance, by Peter Orban, Ingrid Zinnel, and Thea Weller, revealed by U.S. Video games Methods, Inc.
Card: The Black Mass
This week might name into query what opinions are held and why. Think about what’s being pledged earlier than committing to the taking or giving of oaths, and what the broader connotations is perhaps.
Decks generously offered by Asheville Raven & Crone