BURNS, Tenn. – Opponents of white supremacists converged on Montgomery Bell State Park to exhibit towards the American Renaissance group, who had reserved the inn and convention middle within the park. The Southern Poverty Regulation Middle states that American Renaissance group “is a self-styled assume tank that promotes pseudo-scientific research and analysis that purport to point out the inferiority of blacks to whites”.
On the opposite aspect of the park, Pagan Unity Pageant (PUF) was internet hosting its 22nd annual occasion, and the 20th anniversary of the occasion being held in Montgomery Bell. The demonstration towards American Renaissance was unrelated to PUF, although pageant goers and organizers turned very a lot conscious of the exercise.
TWH spoke to PUF attendees who reported that whereas the thought of white supremacists being close by within the park was disturbing, the pageant didn’t appear to be overly affected. Tish Owen, founder and organizer of PUF stated that she didn’t assume the presence of the white supremacists impacted the pageant a lot, “Most individuals had not heard about them. We truly had friends who cancelled their reservations on the inn and stayed with us.”
Phoenix Silverstar, a pageant VIP, was one of many visitors who checked out of the inn. Silverstar stated, “The Nazis have been booked within the Inn on the State Park, and as soon as I came upon I checked out of the lodge. I did see police on the campground, and I assume that they have been there to guard us.”
Jason Mankey, one other of this yr’s VIPs stated, “So apparently there was a Nazi conference moderately near PUF, however it had no influence in any respect on the pageant, aside from a number of Tennessee State Patrol Automobiles driving by way of the pageant grounds a number of occasions to verify on our welfare. PUF was superb, filled with nice individuals doing nice work. There have been no disruptions and never a lot speak of the Nazi conference close to by both.”
In line with numerous sources, there was a heavy police presence, each native and state police, in addition to park rangers, all through the world with a tactical staff stationed on the entrance to Montgomery Bell State Park. Saturday night time pageant organizers introduced that a few of the park rangers requested if they might come down and benefit from the bonfire. Tennessee State Freeway Patrol and native regulation enforcement drove by means of the primary loop of the campgrounds roughly each 45 minutes.
Owen stated of the rangers, “They have been fantastic. We obtained to satisfy rangers from everywhere in the state plus officers from Burns and Dickson. They waved. They went buying [at the festival vendors]. They stopped for espresso, and took their breaks with us as a result of they stated we had good vibes.”
Amy Blackthorn, one other VIP presenter, recounted her expertise after leaving the occasion on Friday night time. She stated, “Once we left to return to the lodge [in Dickson] a automotive adopted us to McDonald’s and the police pulled in and arrested them.” She stated that different attendees who have been staying off-site informed her additionally they reported being adopted to PUF safety employees.
Blackthorn stated she had heard that regulation enforcement apprehended somebody who was driving an ATV by means of the woods that encompass the campground. Owen stated she and the employees had heard the noise of ATVs being pushed within the woods and notified the park rangers. Whereas that they had heard somebody had been arrested, neither she nor anybody on employees had witnessed the arrest.
Regardless of the strain, Blackthorn stated she “met so much good of individuals” and all the regulation enforcement she encountered have been, “tremendous skilled” in addition to having reward for the effectivity of the occasion’s personal safety group.
Musician Louis Garou stated regardless of the police presence, the employees appeared to have the whole lot properly in hand and it didn’t negatively have an effect on his enjoyment of the occasion. “Every part appeared to run actually easily. I had no complaints.”
TWH requested Owen if she felt the park ought to’ve notified her concerning the white supremacists having reserved the inn for a similar weekend as PUF additional prematurely. She stated, “I really feel they need to have suggested their visitors on the inn.”
Owen stated that she solely discovered that the white supremacist group can be gathering on the identical weekend as PUF a few week earlier than the occasion. She stated the rationale the supremacists are utilizing the park is as a result of personal venues have refused them. Owen stated, “I’ve dates for [PUF] the subsequent three years, however I’ll name the inn to seek out out what the Nazis’ plans are. But when they arrive in after we’ve got set our date, we’ll simply need to reside with it.”
She went on to say, “I wish to assume our peace, love, and lightweight have an effect on their hate. We can’t cover, we should not be fearful. We should let our mild shine.”
Editors Word: We incorrectly reported in an earlier model of this text that “park rangers have been be assigned to the drum circle on the bonfire to guard pageant goers.” It has since been corrected.
* * *
MANCHESTER, N.H. – Final Thursday, the Veterans Administration (VA) introduced it might take away spiritual texts and gadgets of different faiths besides the Bible that it presently shows from the Lacking Man Desk. The Desk was arrange as a memorial for POW/MIAs on the Veterans Affairs Medical Middle. The gadgets that had been added to show included texts from the Jewish, Muslim, Mormon and Wiccan faiths, in addition to a clean pill representing those that didn’t adhere to any religion.
Press secretary, Curt Cashour stated, “We won’t tolerate interference with and/or alteration of permitted shows — comparable to this Northeast POW/MIA Community-sponsored POW/MIA desk — and in consequence these things shall be eliminated.”
The Army Spiritual Freedom Basis founder, Michael Weinstein stated, ”As anticipated, the VA is unconstitutionally doubling down on its illicit promotion of fundamentalist Christian ideology on the complete expense of the USA Structure and the spiritual and non-religious beliefs of all veterans who don’t subscribe to such an unlawful and oppressive spiritual viewpoint.”
The show of the Bible had been eliminated in January after complaints have been voiced by a number of sufferers to the Army Spiritual Freedom Basis, who cited First Modification violations to the administration of medical middle. The Bible reappeared in February in a transparent show case. On Might 7, Air Pressure veteran James Chamberlain filed a lawsuit in federal courtroom towards medical middle Director Alfred Montoya, citing it ought to be a memorial to all who’ve served, no matter their beliefs.
The VA seems to plan to struggle the lawsuit based on this assertion issued by VA spokesman, Cashour, “This lawsuit – backed by a gaggle recognized for questionable practices and unsuccessful lawsuits – is nothing greater than an try and pressure VA into censoring a present of respect for America’s POW/MIA group. Make no mistake: VA won’t be bullied on this challenge.”
The removing of the opposite spiritual texts will probably immediate extra authorized motion, Weinstein stated the Army Spiritual Freedom Basis, “welcomes the chance to problem this flagrant violation of the constitutionally mandated separation of church and state in federal courtroom.”
In different information:
- Final week, NASA introduced the identify of the brand new challenge that may ship astronauts to the moon is known as Artemis. Jim Bridenstine, a NASA administrator stated, “It seems that Apollo had a twin sister, Artemis. She occurs to be the goddess of the moon,” referencing Greek mythology. “Our astronaut workplace could be very numerous and extremely certified. I feel it is rather lovely that 50 years after Apollo, the Artemis program will carry the subsequent man — and the primary lady — to the moon.” The Artemis program will embrace the primary lady to land on the moon.
- An area farm pest management skilled, Brian Lemin, means that two lambs discovered with their heads lacking in on a farm in south japanese Cornwall was the work of witches. The thought was refuted by Richard Blackett, Pagan Federation media officer. Blackett stated, “This has no half in any apply by Pagan teams. I might say it smacks of delinquent behaviour, cruelty to animals. What has been executed to those lambs is ugly and unsightly and it isn’t one thing these within the Pagan group would ever condone.” Others commenting on the story believed it was the work of wicked vandals. The 2 lambs, every weighing round 40 lbs, have been discovered three days aside, with their heads eliminated and lacking from the world.
- Druid Paul Beer is on a mission to wash up Chester, England and the encompassing space. In an space he typically visited to meditate, he got here throughout the skeleton of fox its abdomen space filled with plastic—which he assumed was possible what triggered its dying. Quickly after he discovered a viral social media problem publish utilizing the hashtag, #trashtag. The problem referred to as for individuals to find areas the place trash had been dumped or amassed, and clear it up, posting earlier than and after footage utilizing #trashtag. Being a part of a nature-based perception system, Beer felt this was a marketing campaign he might simply help. He collected seven luggage of trash, and challenged others within the space to take up the problem.
- Excavation and restoration of a temple constructed to the goddess Hecate, thought-about to be one of many largest constructed to her, is underway on the Lagina Sanctuary in western Muğla province’s Yatağan district in Turkey. The workforce doing the excavation work is being led by Bilal Söğüt. The location is over 3000-years-old, and accommodates some twenty 2000-year-old columns that the staff intends to revive to their unique positions. “Our main work right here is to unearth the temple, altar and ceremonial areas inside the Lagina Hecate sanctuary,” Söğüt stated. Officers declare that over 100,000 trendy Pagans go to the location yearly. They hope the restoration will improve these numbers.
- Earlier this month the Druid Community, a registered charity based mostly in England and Wales, launched a press release on local weather change. At the side of Tradition Declares, the Druid Community issued a local weather and ecological emergency, citing the 2018 Worldwide Panel on Local weather Change report. The report emphasised that solely 12 years (now 11) stay to make pressing and unprecedented modifications, to mitigate the rise of worldwide temperatures. The 2 teams define their plans for motion in three easy steps: 1) To make sure that the reality is publicized by governments, and media businesses, 2) To work with native and nationwide governments to vary insurance policies with a objective of zero greenhouse fuel emissions by 2025, three) To assist handle the problems of inequality and injustice that they consider to be a part of the core concern.
Tarot of the week by Star Bustamonte
Deck: New Period Parts Tarot by Eleonore F. Pieper, PhD, revealed by U.S. Video games Methods, Inc.
Card: Father of Air
The main target this week is liable to be on the power to make use of one’s psychological acuity, adaptability, and cleverness to see by way of or reveal the duplicity and even thoughts video games of others.
Decks generously offered by Asheville Raven & Crone