BONITA SPRINGS, Fla. – The Sanctuary in Bonita Springs, a small 2 acre personal property that provided area for meditations, retreats, and different religious occasions is closing down. Pre-hurricane flooding, and devastating injury brought on by Irma in September of 2017, has left the Sanctuary unable to recuperate regardless of concerted efforts of clean-up.
Hurricane Irma, a class 5, turned one of many strongest to ever develop within the Atlantic basin. Irma is listed because the fifth-costliest Atlantic hurricane, doing $64.eight billion in damages.
The Sanctuary was host to weekly Buddhist meditations and Sutta research, in addition to internet hosting ladies’s retreats, Reiki gatherings, and Drugs Wheel gatherings. They introduced final week in a Fb publish they might be shutting down the web page and, “We recognize all outreaches for help and group resurrection. We’ve got determined with heavy coronary heart to launch our beloved ‘Sanctuary’ again to Mom Nature and shut an exquisite chapter in our journey.
“Know that this was a troublesome determination, and our heartfelt because of all of you who’ve supported us and stood by and helped us by way of the blood, sweat and tears of our creation and start. We have now had fantastic ceremonies, live shows and occasions held and hope you proceed to carry these reminiscences in your hearts as we do.”
* * *
BARNEVELD, Wis. – Circle Sanctuary introduced the theme and emblem for Pagan Spirit Gathering (PSG) this yr. The theme, “Rise Up!” was impressed partially by music created by musicians Cheryl Crow, Andras Dray, and Spiral Rhythm. On the Circle Sanctuary web site, they record the lyrics as:
Dray: “All we’d like, all we’d like is hope. And for that we now have one another. And for that we’ve got one another. We’ll rise. We’ll rise.”
Crow: “Properly the solar’s gonna rise, when it’s every part or nothing, and nothing appears all proper, the solar’s gonna stand up with you.”
Spiral Rhythm: “love can change the world”, “struggle enemies with phrases”, “lead by instance”, and “Rise Up Pagan Youngsters!”
The brand was designed by PSG Group member Colleen Koziara.
Circle Sanctuary additionally introduced PSG can be on a brand new website this yr, Hannon’s Camp America campground close to Oxford, Ohio. Kristoffer Hughes of Wales, Woman Tamara Von Forslun of Australia, Jason Mankey, and Oberon Zell are amongst their featured presenters this yr.
* * *
RICHLANDS, Va. – Final week, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) filed a lawsuit towards the City of Richlands on behalf of Mark Mullins, proprietor of Mountain Magic & Tarot Studying. The ACLU alleges in its submitting that the city is “violating the free speech and non secular freedom rights of an area resident who’s banned from studying tarot playing cards as a part of his enterprise.”
They determine Mullins and his companion, Jerome Van Dyke, of their go well with as training Hermeticism, and that utilizing the tarot is an integral a part of their spirituality—very similar to the Bible is utilized in Christianity. Mullins is quoted as saying, “Tarot is our Bible. It means the world to me to have the ability to share my follow with others.”
Starting in June of 2017, Mullins had been repeatedly denied a enterprise license by the city with citing native zoning ordinances and requiring Mullin’s to switch the request. Mullins complied, as steered, and the request was heard at a public city listening to in February of 2018. Native residents and clergy members in attendance on the listening to cited scripture, claimed the follow of studying tarot playing cards was “evil,” “witchcraft,” and would “open issues up on this space to the demonic realm.” Additionally they advised city officers that in the event that they allowed card readings to occur that they themselves would endure religious penalties for doing so.
As TWH reported final yr, the city’s personal software for a enterprise license truly lists “fortune teller” and “palmist” as choices beneath the “nature of enterprise” heading. The city supervisor advised he open a guide retailer, as an alternative. Mullins modified his class to “bookstore giftshop” underneath the identify “Mountain Magic.” Since Mullins couldn’t cost for tarot readings, he did them at no cost—till the Richlands Chief of Police, Frank Dorton knowledgeable him that it was unlawful for him to do card readings whether or not he charged for them or not.
The ACLU lists the City Supervisor, Timothy Taylor, former Chief of Police, Frank Dorton, present Chief of Police, Jerry Gilbert, and Chairman of the Planning Fee, Randy Smith as defendants within the submitting. TWH will proceed to comply with this story and report and any new developments.
In different information:
- A brand new ballot by Public Faith Analysis Institute (PRRI) launched final week revealed that 57 % of People stated they oppose permitting small-business house owners to refuse providers to LGBTQ individuals if the proprietor believes it will violate his or her spiritual beliefs. Solely 36 % stated they favor permitting companies to discriminate. There have been some fascinating variations of these strongly opposed when examined by religion, race, and denomination: 83% of Unitarian Universalists; 68% of Jews; 66% of Black Protestants. Alternatively, 54% of white Protestants; 55% of white Catholics vs 52% of Hispanic Catholics. Evangelicals – 55%, and Mormons — 54%, have been in help of companies with the ability to discriminate based mostly on beliefs. The survey additionally discovered that 62% of American help marriage equality, up 9 proportion factors because the Supreme Courtroom ruling in 2015.
- Final week, New Mexico turned the fifth state to remove “Columbus Day” as a vacation. As an alternative New Mexico will have fun “Indigenous Peoples Day” on the second Monday of each October. On Tuesday, April 2, 2019, Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham signed Home Invoice 100 renaming the vacation. Minnesota, Alaska, Vermont, and South Dakota have handed comparable laws, although South Dakota calls their new vacation, “Native American Day.”
- The Nationwide Archaeological Museum in Athens, Greece positioned on show for the primary time, the statue of Aphrodite, Greek Goddess of affection. The marble statue is predicated on the Hellenistic model of the Aphrodite of Praxiteles. Prior it had been a part of the Iolas assortment of sculptures of Capitolian sort and dates to the Roman period.
- In a follow-up to final week’s article a few Polish church burning books and symbols of different faiths, The Guardian stories that the priest, Father Rafał Jarosiewicz, issued an apology on Fb final Tuesday, “If anybody took my motion this manner, I want to apologise,” he wrote, including that he had eliminated the pictures of the general public burning, “in order that it doesn’t generate extra feelings. I’m very sorry as soon as once more.” The actions of burning such gadgets drew criticism from quite a lot of sources. Jarosiewicz was fined by metropolis guards, and an anti-smog group contacting officers, concerning the illegally burning however it isn’t clear from the report if the advantageous was because of the anti-smog teams actions.
- Selena Fox spoke on the College of Wisconsin in Madison as a part of the Ladies in Interfaith Panel final Sunday. The panel was comprised of Janan Najeeb, President of the Milwaukee Muslim Ladies’s Coalition; Sister Toni Ann Palermo, Roman Catholic Sister of the Faculty Sisters of St. Francis; Pastor Erica Liu, Co-Pastor of Pres Home on campus; and Rabbi Andrea Steinberger of the Hillel Middle in Madison. The panel got here on the finish of the weekend convention, Intersections of Interfaith. Late final month, the general public speak Fox delivered on spirituality, environmental safety, and non secular discrimination to greater than 700 college students, school, and group members on the School of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia was coated by the varsity publication, The Flat Hat.
- The Folklore Podcast aired episode 55 on Crafty People that includes Tabitha Stanmore, PhD, who has researched the position of Magicians in historical past from c. 1350 to c. 1650. Stanmore’s analysis encompasses how magic was practiced, by whom and what gender, and the way the practices shifted over time.
In “witch-hunt” information:
On March 29 the South African Pagan Alliance Touchstone Advocacy kicked off its annual 30-day marketing campaign to finish “witch-hunts.” The marketing campaign runs by way of April 27, 2019. The next tales spotlight why this marketing campaign, and others prefer it, are so necessary.
- IFAKO-IJAIYE, LAGOS, Nigeria – Kehinde Salami, 25, and Yetunde Akinola, 42, who determine as prophet, and prophetess have been charged with conspiracy, breach of the peace, false pretences and tried homicide after trying to make their housemaid swallow an iron cross that they believed would shield her from “witchcraft.”
- ASSIN FOSU, Ghana – Yaw Nuamah, who has epilepsy, attacked his sister with a big knife, believing she had used “witchcraft” inflicting him to develop the dysfunction, additionally claiming the drugs he had been prescribed had no impact.
- DEDZA, Malawi – Individuals have an effect on with ablinism, (a genetic trait that leads to the physique being unable to supply melanin so the pores and skin seems colorless or white), are being hunted and murdered for his or her bones and different physique elements for use to affect elections and convey good luck. It’s believed by some that felony gangs are paid to kidnap those that have albinism and ship them to witchdoctors who carry out rituals for rich individuals in search of extra wealth and energy. Whereas formal of monitoring of such crimes solely started in 2014 by Affiliation of Individuals with Albinism in Malawi (APAM), citing 122 instances of thwarted abductions, 25 murders, and 15 disappearances. Amnesty Worldwide started their consciousness marketing campaign in 2016.
- MEWAR, RAJASTHAN, India – Ladies accused of being a “witch” or “bakan” discover life extraordinarily troublesome and any sense of justice elusive. Simply on this area of India prior to now yr over 15 incidents of girls, often aged and dwelling alone, have been recorded. If they’ve households shut by, they’re given the selection to both depart the world or have their households lock them away. Regardless of legal guidelines being enacted to guard these accused of “witchcraft” officers typically flip a blind eye to the issue.
Tarot of the week by Star Bustamonte
Deck: Mystic Faerie Tarot by Barbara Moore, paintings by Linda Ravenscroft, revealed by Llewellyn Publications
Card: Ace of Wands
This week the drive to start or create one thing new could also be in proof. It’s a great time to take a critical take a look at the place issues stand–what’s available, what is required, and the way these gadgets may be obtained. A transparent image of the objective will assist to find out what instruments, expertise and information are wanted.
Decks generously offered by Asheville Raven & Crone